At Independent Rehabilitation Services, our focus is community neuro rehabilitation and disability. As part of the wider organisation, we have an experienced team of physiotherapists who specialise in movement and function related to conditions or injuries of the central nervous system and neuro muscular system.
Our clinicians work with clients in the community, as opposed to at a hospital or clinic. We predominantly undertake treatment in clients’ homes, supported accommodation, local gym or pool and other locations within the client’s immediate community.
Providing our neuro physiotherapy services in the community allows us to have greater success supporting clients to achieve their personal goals and ultimately improving their quality of life.
Additionally, collaborating with a larger multidisciplinary team is common. That team may include occupational therapists, speech pathologists, neuro psychologists and behaviour support, depending on the client’s circumstances.
Our clinicians specialise in providing services to people who have experienced an acquired brain injury, spinal cord injury or are experiencing other neurological conditions. We also work with many clients in the disability sector.
Specific neuro physio services we offer
Assessment and treatment is conducted in your home and community, with family and support workers in attendance as required. We work with each person to develop an individually tailored plan, to ensure they reach maximum functional ability and are safe and able to participate in their community.
- Gait retraining
- Balance and coordination retraining
- Prescription of mobility aids (walkers, wheelchairs)
- High level mobility training including returning to running, sport, or something more extreme.
Strength and movement:
- Upper limb retraining
- Prescription of home-based exercise programs
- Aquatic physiotherapy
- Gym program development and review
- LSVT BIG program
- Prescription of assistive equipment
- Persistent pain management
- Posture and seating evaluation and management
Quality of life:
- Identifying and progressing toward goals that are important to you
- Increasing physical activity levels
- Building confidence and self-efficacy
Enabling community access:
- Community groups and resources
- Recreation and activity groups
- Work and study
- Vestibular assessment and rehabilitation
- Spasticity and tone assessments
- Rehabilitation and equipment provision
- Collaborating with your OT, neuro psychologist, medical team, orthotists and/or other health professionals
- Comprehensive training of family and support workers
Integration of therapy into everyday life is vital to our role as community-based physiotherapists. This may include training of family and support workers to ensure continuity of the rehabilitation program and the best outcomes for the individual.
Ready to see one of our physiotherapists?
That’s right – we have immediate availability to accept new physiotherapy clients. Get your referral in now and start working towards physio goals today!